Friday, February 27, 2015

Five Fandom Friday: Characters (And People) I Would Name My Kids After

5 Fandom Friday is a weekly geek meme from The Nerdy Girlie and Super Space Chick. This week's topic is: names!

Even though I'm lukewarm on kids (happy to work with them, also happy to not actually be responsible for them), I am a fiend for names. There aren't enough inanimate objects in my life that I can name—I have my main computer (Regan, after the girl in The Exorcist, because trying to remove Windows was akin to an exorcism), my netbook (Samwise, because he is literally half the size of a regular laptop and will go with me wherever), and my smartphone (Mimir, as I use him access all of the wisdom and answers of the Internet while I'm out). Even the candle I burn on my windowsill as a mindhack to keep me focused has a name (Georgina, just because). My now-junked car was Yoda (he was green, and a Toyota) and my previous laptop to Regan was Priscilla (just because). 

I like naming things! So I don't need to have kids to have a top list of names I would give to babies or cats or plants or whatever.

5. Thena


Naming anything after a deity smacks of hubris, but a variation on the name seems fair game to me. Athena is the best at everything and has been my favorite member of any ancient pantheon since I was in elementary school.


4. Rehoboth

Okay, so this is totally just the name of the beach I vacationed at with my family as a kid, but I think it's a lovely name. I totally used it for the name of an RP character back in the day. (Did anyone else ever play on Alleria? Or, I'm sorry...Aelyria?)


3. Raskolnikov



This name was bestowed upon a cactus in college who ultimately didn't end up faring too well. But he is one of my favorite characters in literature so at some point I'm sure I'll name something after him again! Maybe a pet, so then I can call him "Rascal" for short.


2. Hypatia



Again, with the Greek. But Hypatia was an actual person, not a deity, and she was a supergenius badass.

1. Fontana



And what entry today would be complete without a shout-out to Star Trek? I let out an Annakin-style Big No when the first report of Nimoy's death hit my Facebook feed. A few of my friends already have a cat named Spock (a girl cat, weirdly enough), so I would like to pay tribute to one of the unsung women who made Trek great: D. C. Fontana.

LLAP, friends.

3 comments:

  1. I live near a Rehobooth beach, so it'd be weird if someone around here named a child after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, I suppose. I've never seen anyone use it as a proper name but maybe it can become a place name that doubles as a person's name? Like Georgia.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    FadoExpress là một trong những top công ty chuyển phát nhanh quốc tế hàng đầu chuyên vận chuyển, chuyển phát nhanh siêu tốc đi khắp thế giới, nổi bật là dịch vụ gửi hàng đi nhậtgửi hàng đi pháp và dịch vụ chuyển phát nhanh đi hàn quốc uy tín, giá rẻ

    ReplyDelete