Thursday, April 7, 2011

Feedback time: Tectonic Plate Pendant(s)

I did the first mock-up of my Mad Scientists of Etsy April theme challenge (plate tectonics) item: the Filippino Plate, one of the three plates that meet under Japan.



The real version, if I get around to it, will be cut out of metal. But I did a version in clay first so I could get an idea of what a thing of that size and shape would look like. I think it needs some pizzazz, so I'm going to add some kind of kanji character to the design (on the Filippino plate; the other two plates are large enough that I'm going to draw/cut out the Japanese islands). These are the only two appropriate ones I can think of:



I'm leaning towards the top one because I'm more clear on the meaning and because it's simpler. Corrections on my interpretations, or suggestions for other characters, are much, much appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. I'd go with strength. I also hope this isn't rude to say, but it seems like the left cheek is a bit smoother than the drawing. It looks like the drawing is a little sharper and juts out a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just really, really, REALLY suck at working with polyclay. I really, really do. So yeah, some of the detail and precision is definitely lost in the clay.

    If I had shellac'd the outline on wax paper I had on to metal and had sawed it out and filed it down, the work would be a lot more accurate (I also used another, more complicated image for the plate than the one posted, which is another reason for differences between them).

    ReplyDelete