Monday, April 25, 2011

Music Monday

There's a meme doing the rounds on Facebook: the 30 Day Music Meme. I'm porting it to my blog for a few reasons:

1) I love music.
2) It'll keep me posting regularly (at least on Mondays!).
3) I love music.
4) I already post enough crap content on Facebook.
5) Did I mention that I love music?
6) I have more room to justify my choices and expound upon them in a blog entry than in a Facebook status.
7) No, you don't understand. MUSIC.


Day 1: Your Favorite Song

This one is tough for me. I'm sure it's tough for many people. The problem for me is, I go through music cycles. While music I like, I generally like forever, I'll go for years listening to a few bands and genres, and then randomly shift gears into something else entirely for no apparent reason for the next couple years—while still enjoying what I was listening to before as well. So a favorite song of all time is really, really hard to come by. Out of all the music in my library, this has probably been near the top of my list for the longest (since I was 10, when it first hit the charts), so I feel it's the best answer to the question asked here.



Oasis was my first favorite band, though I never managed to tune in to the rest of the Britpop coming out at that time. Thanks to Pandora, I'm a little bit more informed about that whole trend now, but Oasis is still the only band from that movement whose discography I know at all and whose albums I actually own. They're always within the first three bands I list when asked to name favorites.

The general consensus among the music enthusiasts I know is that Oasis had an overblown sense of themselves, shamelessly ripped off other musicians (mostly The Beatles and Lennon's solo career), and that the mainstream success they've enjoyed doesn't really reflect the quality of their music. Since I'm not equipped to deal with them (both in terms of knowledge and in terms of temperament), I just keep my love of Oasis quietly to myself.

And yes, these same music enthusiasts have made me well aware of the fact that Noel Gallagher was so off his face when he wrote "Don't Look Back in Anger" that he doesn't even know what it means. Don't care. Still love this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment