Friday, June 12, 2015

Five Fandom Friday: Favorite Fictional Fathers

Image courtesy Katelyn Jade
Father's Day is coming up, so this Friday we're taking some time to talk about our favorite fictional fathers.

5. Frank Bunker Gilbreth




I cheated a bit for my first one, since he actually existed, but honestly when I think back on books about children and families, the Gilbreth family (Cheaper by the Dozen, Belles on Their Toes) is the first that springs to mind. I don't know if I would have liked to grow up with 10 or 11 other siblings, but Gilbreth seemed like he was an interesting person to know, and a lot of fun to have as a father, even if he looks like a big ol' sourpuss in that photo. It's hard to believe he was a real, living person!


4. Carson Drew (Nancy Drew, Carolyn Keene)



Carson was pretty mellow dad. He lets his daughter go off and have adventures, trusting her to be smart and careful when necessary. He even encourages her detective work and helps her with the legal stuff! This is a man who doesn't let pervading stereotypes of the time blind him to his daughter's awesomeness.


3. James (Fallout 3)




An accomplished scientist? Check. A man of scruples? Check. A man whose number one priority was the future, for the world and for his child alike? Check. Voiced by Liam Neeson? Check! A father anyone would be proud of.


2. Haruki "Harry" Yasutani (aka "Haruki #2) (A Tale for the Time Being, Ruth Ozeki)




I've already raved about this book, but I guess it isn't entirely out of my system yet. A big thank you goes out to all of the book blogs that I follow who mentioned it—there are too many and it was too long ago for me to remember which ones they were, unfortunately—your collective praise piqued my interest, so that when my friend-boss asked if I wanted a copy in a book package she was sending I said YES DEFINITELY.

I can't talk too much about what I like about Haruki Yasutani without spoiling some major plot details and character development. At first he seems like another depressed and overworked Japanese salaryman, but there is much more to him than that. I'll just tell you to hold on and give him a chance.

1. Atticus Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee)


Atticus Finch, Attorney at Law shirt from Up Shirts Creek

Doesn't everyone want Atticus to be their dad? Kind, principled, courageous....Atticus Finch is probably definitely my favorite father in fiction. “The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.”

Who are your favorites?

4 comments:

  1. The Fallout one just reminded me of Liam Neeson! How did I not choose him for something. He's basically been the most BA dad ever in so many movies lol. Fail. Great picks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND he's Aslan. Like, does it get any better? No.

      Delete
  2. Frank Bunker Gilbreth... I didn't know about him. Interesting list.
    xoxo
    dePepi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheaper By the Dozen was one of my favorite books as a kid (maybe because it was my mom's favorite?). Both of the Gilbreths were impressive, accomplished efficiency experts with an eye for the well-being of the American worker in addition to their efficiency, but the interest Mr. Gilbreth took in raising and educating his children is phenomenal and the book makes that clear.

      I also stole his trick of painting Morse code on the ceiling of their bedroom and applied it (with amazing success) to my Russian studies, haha.

      Delete