Tuesday, June 16, 2015

June Read Play Blog: Video Game Worlds

Read Play Blog is a meme about video games and books, posted every 16th of the month. Bloggers are encouraged to answer a discussion question, recommend a video game that they like, and share what they're currently playing. Hosted by Happy Indulgence Books and Read Me Away!


So this is one of the few blog posts for June I didn't write up beforehand. Lucky for me, today is one of the quieter days of my trip so far, so I have time to talk about video games! On to this month's question:

Which video game would you want to live in or be the main character of?

Most video games have pretty fucked up worlds. Even if there's powerful magic and cute fantasy creatures, there's also usually some serious shit going down, like the end of the world or whatever, and I don't need to be living in the shadow of that apocalypse. Theoretically I already am, the way we keep denying that we're fucking up our planet.

If I had to pick one, I would have to pick Myst. It has beautiful landscapes not under immediate threat and I'm pretty sure I remember how to free Atrus from his prison, so I would have someone to keep me company. He could even write more linking books if we ever got bored of the ones already on the island, or teach me how to do it.



June's Recommendation

I had the good luck to be staying with a friend right as she had finally decided to buy a PS3 (again). We spent a lot of time in the local GameStops and after some perusing and discussing she went home with Ni no Kuni (which you may remember I love the shit out of), a Japanese fighter that reminds me a lot of BlazBlue but is not, in fact, BlazBlue, and Journey. We sat down and played Journey together for a couple of hours and I loved it. It's a lot like Myst, actually.



Currently Playing

The same friend also had Hatoful Boyfriend on Steam and I definitely sunk a lot of hours into it (and even earned her a few achievements!). So I'm not technically currently playing it, but it's the most recent interesting thing I've played and I'll definitely get it at the next Steam sale. It's more than just a pigeon dating sim, you guys. It is some cracked-out sci fi. (Depending on your choices, of course.) I won't spoil any more than that for you but holy shit just go and play it now.



2 comments:

  1. Myst! Oh, the many frustrating hours I spent playing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back on it, I was probably too young to be able to enjoy Myst. Not that I was stupid, but I was 7 years old when it came out (and played it when it was The New Thing), and sometimes my reach was way beyond my grasp in terms of puzzle-solving and lateral thinking. I ended up frustrated and clicking through the game with a hints and solutions book, hah.

      Delete