Friday, August 26, 2016

Friday 5: Two Thousand Zero Zero Party Over Oops Out of Time



What’s your favorite song from 1999?

At this point in my life I was listening to a lot of Oasis, The Beatles, and the local oldies radio station. I was definitely not listening to ALL THE HITS!, but a few songs made it on my radar. Most notably "Better Days (And the Bottom Drops Out)" and "Mambo No. 5," the only Billboard Hot 100 Singles to be on albums I later purchased for myself. (Go ahead and mock me for my Lou Bega, I don't care! He brought at least one preteen to Perez Prado, so that's something.)

I think this was also the year I bought "Americana" but that was released in 1998, so.


What are some of your favorite films from 1999?

I was only 13 (I just made some of you feel really old, and others feel really young) so there wasn't a whole lot I saw in theaters. A lot of movies that came out in 1999 I saw later on DVD (like Dogma, The Ninth Gate, and The Matrix) or on TV (Office Space). But I only remember seeing three in theaters: Inspector Gadget, Toy Story 2, and The Phantom Menace. Toy Story 2 was probably my favorite that I saw that year. I don't remember how I felt about The Phantom Menace. I was too young to really be bothered by Jake Lloyd's acting, but I think I was old enough to not be amused by Jar Jar.


What’s something interesting that happened on your birthday in 1999?

The US officially had a surplus, which I realize is hugely significant in terms of economics but is kind of...not that sexy. In sexier news, a week before my birthday is when the first Apple iBook launched.


How did you ring in the new year as 1999 became 2000?

I don't really remember. I think we may have gone to a New Year's party at a neighbor's. This is notable because we usually just celebrated at home.


What’s something that’s gotten better since 1999?

I guess most things except climate change?

No comments:

Post a Comment