Friday, September 16, 2016

Friday Find: Kobieta Clothing Company

I have always been a little bit of a tree hugger. Not because I claim any spiritual connection to nature; it just seems to me that the most pragmatic thing to do is to minimize our impact on the planet so we can get as much use out of it as possible. Little me didn't really understand how anyone could not be concerned about making the resources we have last as long as possible.

Ah, the naivete of childhood.

As an adult, it's complicated. I recycle, converted JV to glass straws, and try to be mindful of my water usage, but one of my favorite hobbies (jewelry making) has a really crappy history when it comes to ethics and the environment. Clothing, too: it's very easy to want to buy clothing that is ethically and sustainably sourced. (Especially after watching a documentary like The True Cost. Important to see, but you'll never look at your closet the same way again.) It's another thing altogether to be able to make those choices when you're fat.

After being disappointed with the brands featured in The True Cost (almost none of them offered things over a size 12 or 14), I went digging on Etsy and binge-hearted a bunch of indie organic designers that catered to fat people. And after that long wind-up, here's the pitch: one of them was The Kobieta Clothing Company.

A few months later, I finally came in the way of some extra cash and decided to treat myself (remember my promise to myself earlier in the year to treat myself, and to invest more money in indie biz owners?). Enter The Kobieta Palazzo Wide Leg Pants. They arrived a couple of weeks ago and I AM IN LOVE. 

The Kobieta Palazzo Wide Leg Pants by The Kobieta Clothing Company


First of all, Nikki (the seamstress behind it all) takes custom orders, which is great for someone fat who has short, stumpy legs. Someone like me.

We represent the Lollipop Guild... // Image courtesy MGM Studios.

So to put on a pair of pants and they fit! They don't drag on the floor; I don't look like a little kid playing dress up. Worth it.

I was also pleasantly surprised at the weight of the material, as I have certain expectations about jersey knit. These were heavier—not by much, but by enough that it was clear that 1) they were going to be way more durable than my previous palazzo trousers and 2) they would be warm enough for fall and, with leggings or under armor or the like, even winter wear.

Speaking of the material, this is your reminder that Kobieta clothing is made exclusively from sustainable fabric: bamboo, organic cotton, beech tree modal, hemp, and organic linen. All of it. By default. 

And finally, these pants are unbelievably comfortable. I have to make an effort not to wear these all day, every day (when I'm not doing yoga or going for runs in my LineageWear leggings, speaking of treat yo' self). I don't think I've ever called a pair of pants cozy before, but there's no other word that really fits. They are cozy, in the way that going into your cave and finding your power animal is cozy.

The next time you need to replace a wardrobe staple, I would recommend saving up a little bit of scratch and splurging on an item from Kobieta. It's worth it, for you and for the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment