Monday, March 19, 2018

Newly Listed: Avogadro's Number Chemistry Bracelet with Freshwater Pearls and Variscite

My love affair with variscite (also known as aqua terra jasper, impression jasper, or snakeskin jasper) hasn't really ended, though I admit I haven't used it in a while. That's how ridiculous my jewelry backlog has gotten; this Avogadro bracelet has been sitting around, unphotographed, for years now.

Chemistry sciart jewelry: Avogadro bracelet with freshwater pearls and variscite
Chemistry bracelet by Kokoba Jewelry

You can tell that this one was one of the last ones I photographed in the photography binge I went on a couple of weeks ago because I just took three pictures and left it at that. 

Chemistry sciart jewelry: Avogadro bracelet with freshwater pearls and variscite


I love the look of variscite with copper. Yes, I know it turns sensitive skin green, but I love the coloring. Sometimes silver is just a little too bland, but gold is a little too flashy. Copper is nice. It's in between. It's a happy medium. It's lagom. (Truly, I have become Swedish.)

Still, I'm always willing to change out base metal or copper findings for sterling. Sometimes it's necessary. I get it.

Chemistry sciart jewelry: Avogadro bracelet with freshwater pearls and variscite

This bracelet features Avogadro's number in freshwater pearls, with small teal variscite beads acting as spacers in between digits. This is another way you can tell how old the bracelet is: which value of Avogadro it features.

Physical constants can be tricky to measure precisely, which is why the CODATA values are updated every couple of years. In an ideal world, I would sell out pieces as while their values were still current; in a real world, I have older stock that's technically incorrect. It bugs me a little, but the truth is that you don't need to be as precise as the CODATA values are to do good science. (I think with Avogadro's number, people just use 6.022 and call it a day? The same is true with pi; you don't need that many digits for accurate calculations.) 

The current CODATA value for Avogadro's number is 6.022140857 x 10^23, as per the updated values that went into effect in 2015.  But this bracelet predates those changes, and so features the version from 2010: 6.02214129 x 10^23.

No comments:

Post a Comment