Friday, June 1, 2018

Friday 5: Who Put the Pomp in the Pomp Bah Pomp Bah Pomp?

A group of smiling, mostly white graduates adjusting their tassels at the close of the ceremony.
Image courtesy Caleb Woods from Unsplash.


What’s something you remember about your high school graduation?

That it happened, mainly.


If you were asked to speak at a commencement ceremony this year, what would be the theme of your message?

Live deliberately. Do the things you want to do; want to do the things you do.


What items in your possession are marked with the name or logo of your high school or college?

Well, my college diploma is in a drawer in the kitchen, and the school cane is boxed up and ready to ship from my parents' house. (My alma mater is a bit odd in that, in addition to being presented with a diploma, you also get a wooden ornamental cane upon graduating. I have no idea why.) I don't have any school spirit clothing or tchotchkes, otherwise.


What do you expect will be your next rite of passage?

Completing KPU at Stockholms universitet? Turning 40?


What’s a good movie with a graduation scene, or a good movie with a graduation theme?

I have no idea if it's in the movie, but Enid and Becky's attitude towards graduation in the original graphic novel version of Ghost World mirrored my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment