Saturday, October 31, 2015

Five Fandom Friday: 5 Characters I Would Dress Up As For Halloween

So I love Halloween and putting together a costume. I'm not a brilliant seamstress or even particularly clever, but I do get immense satisfaction out of doing the best I can with what I've got. This list is a combination of characters I've already been and ones that I would like to be.

5. Link

Thank you, @House_Owner. Thank you.

This is one I did back in high school and was probably the most labor-intensive costume I've ever made: I sewed the tunic and the hat (rather poorly) and I made a master shield out of cardboard. I managed to scrounge up a boomerang and some weird red fruit punch flavored drink mix for a health potion from around the house, and a crappy toy sword from the Halloween shop. 


4. Silent Bob

Image courtesy GabboT on Flickr

All I had to do was paint on a fake beard, borrow Lawyer Mom's London Fog trench coat, and I was good to go.


3. Velma

Image courtesy Michael Mol on Flickr
I got to buy a cute skirt and sweater that stayed in my wardrobe for years afterwards. I should probably be Velma again at some point.


2. Amethyst

Steven Universe logo courtesy Cartoon Network Studios

I've finally started watching Steven Universe and I am so much in love. So much! Amethyst is my favorite of the gems, and I have enough on hand for an okay Amethyst costume. The only issue left is the hair: dye it? wig? So I'm saving Amethyst for a future costume, when I have a little more expendable cashflow to spend.

1. Athena

Do gods and goddesses count as characters? It's a tough question. I say yes, so that I can show you guys my rad Athena costume from 2010 and 2011.


4 comments:

  1. I love your Athena picture! Coming from a country where Halloween isn't celebrated, I'm kind of jealous when seeing all these posts pop up. It just seems like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorites! It seems to be gaining more and more traction outside the US, too, so maybe someday you'll be having costume parties and little trick-or-treaters as well...!

      Delete
  2. Athena is such an awesome costume idea - love your little owl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I got him from the Etsy store NotSoSmallThings: https://www.etsy.com/shop/NotSoSmallThings#

      Owlolysius is still cute all these years later. :) I hope Kellee opens her shop back up soon!

      Delete