Friday, October 23, 2015

Five Fandom Friday: 5 Things I Love About Halloween

Somehow I missed not one but two weeks of 5 Fandom Friday?! I guess so. Today, though, I have time to sit down and blog a bit. Instead of this week's prompt, I'm looking back at last week's: 5 favorite things about Halloween. I'm trying very hard to avoid making this list nothing but candy, but the struggle is real.

1. Candy corn



I need to ask my friends/family back in the US to mail me some because THERE IS NO CANDY CORN IN SWEDEN. I don't count the fancy (and expensive!) "American candy" store. I want my cheap-ass Brach's, preferably on post-Halloween discount.


2. Apple things

Image courtesy Tony Hudson/Wikimedia Commons
Bobbing for apples, caramel apples, apple pie, apple cider...all of the apples. (FUCK YO' PSL!!!)


3. Vincent Price


Halloween is the season for horror movies, and Vincent Price is the undisputed king of them. All respect due to slashers and grindhouse and zombies, but my favorite kind of horror movies are the mid-century pieces (no colorization, please). Sure, the effects are hit and miss today, but that campy and/or gothic horror atmosphere never gets old.


4. Costumes

Image courtesy Geoffrey Landis/Wikimedia Commons


I'm not really a convention person. If I were, I'm sure I'd be seriously into cosplay. Instead I take Halloween costumes pretty seriously. I've been Link, Silent Bob, Athena, coked-out Mia Wallace from Pulp Fiction, the Blue Screen of Death, and Athena (among others). I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to be this year, but I'll sit on that reveal...for now.


5. NaNoWriMo



Sure, NaNoWriMo doesn't begin until November, but as Halloween butts right up against November, the two can certainly bleed into each other! Last year and this year I organized a late-night Halloween/NaNo kick-off event for the Stockholm area. It was a great way to celebrate Halloween and to get a head start on NaNo (by starting writing at the crack of midnight) at the same time!

What do you love about Halloween? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment